Thursday, January 22, 2009

Evening & Morning

"So the evening and the morning were the first day..."
Genesis 1:5


Repetition is the hammer that strikes the truth into our soul, fixes it to our frame, and binds it to our hearts. What Gods says only once we are obliged to obey, and what He says twice we would be fatally foolish to forget. Therefore I wonder what the six fold repetition of "evening and the morning" in Genesis 1 is intended to teach? Evening and morning...evening and morning...evening and morning...repeated 6 times, once at the close of each day of Creation. What does it mean? Could it be...I just wonder...a pattern for worship that God the Creator was weaving into the very fabric of the world? In all my unholy haste and hurry to micromanage every moment mabey I have missed the clue that the hands of heaven's clock always point upward. In our evening and mornings there must be more than merely the start and end of another dreary day. Could the rising sun be our daily call to woship, and the setting sun a portend for our prayer?


The Lord sent hope to Noah in the evening. "The dove came to him in the evening, and behold, a freshly plucked olive leaf was in her mouth" (Gen. 8:11). Is not the evening a fitting time to pluck a branch from God's bountiful blessings upon my life and present them by the prayer of my mouth to my merciful Maker?

Did they not find my Savior's empty tomb early in the morning? "Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning...they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus" (Luke 24:1-3) And should not my heart rejoice in a risen Redeemer at the dawn of every day?

Oh my soul, has not the Psalmist also seen something about this delightful daily duty of heavenly harmony when he wrote: "To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night" (Ps 92:2)?

No comments: