Sunday, April 15, 2007

Heaven's Highway



John Flavel on the usefulness of pondering the Providence of God in our lives: "And though our present views and reflections upon Providence be so short and imperfect, in comparison of that in heaven; yet such as it is, under all its present disadvantages, it hath so much excellency and sweetness in it, that I may call it a little heaven...It is certainly an highway of walking with God in this world." Volume 4, p. 349.
I wonder if I think too little about the Providence of God, this highway to heaven. Providence is God's hand helping me along this highway, accompanying me along this avenue, carrying me across this corridor. Not a footstep forward without this faithful friend, the Providence of God. Here is the invisible engineer orchestrating the events of my existence. Season after season cycles forward bearing silent witness to His works all around me. Providence is the sovereign whispering of God. Listen. Upon this alter saints of old offered up their sacrifices of praise. "I will remember the works of the Lord; Surely I will remember thy wonders of old" [Psalm 77:11].
Resolved: To pay greater heed to God's hand in every hap, hand over unto Him the ownership and oversight of every occurrence, ponder the Divine plan, and consider Him the Captain and Cause in even the commonest coincidence. "For of Him and to Him and through Him are all things".
Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments: