Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Great Judgment Morning

Was reading the words of this Southern Gospel song this morning as part of my devotions.  I believe the musical arrangement is attributed to Charles Tillman (1861 - 1943), though the words themselves originated in a poem he found.

Here is the fourth verse:

The moral man came to the judgment, But his self-righteous rags would not do
The men who had crucified Jesus, had passed off as moral men too.
The soul that had put off salvation, "Not tonight; I'll get saved by and by
No time now to think of religion!"  At last they had found time to die.

The final two lines struck me. 

They remind me of Christ's parable of the rich man who could think of no better use of his time, than to make greater provision here on earth for all his treasure.  Jesus, describing the man, said:


"And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”" (Luke 12:19-21, ESV)








No comments: